Twenty years ago…
1) I was twenty-four years old.
2) I worked at a special event production company, where we produced huge annual events including the San Jose Jazz Festival and the San Jose America Festival.
3) I had two angels with fur, a.k.a. dogs: Tara, a Sheltie/Wolf mix, and Shera, a fluffy white American Eskimo spaz who I adopted to keep Tara company.
4) I lived in a studio in Santa Cruz, California that I suspected was haunted.
5) I was depressed, though not clinically yet.
6) I was considered to be “sane” by everyone, even by myself.
7) I didn’t know the actual definition of “manic depressive” (bipolar) despite the fact my Dad had that mood disorder.
8) I didn’t exercise regularly or eat very well – I worked from 9:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. in a stressful job, and I was too exhausted after work to do much of anything.
9) I didn’t have use of the internet.
10) I had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.
11) I had given up on the idea of romantic love and marriage ever happening in my life.
12) I didn’t think I’d have children except for my fur children.
13) I didn’t take a single pill for anything.
14) I had no problem hopping in my car at a moment’s notice to drive seven hours to Los Angeles.
15) I went to the movies every week.
16) I was untouched by the death of a parent.
17) I was untouched by the death of a grandparent.
18) I traveled solo to New Zealand and Australia.
19) I felt that I was meant to something special with my life.
20) I had never seriously contemplated suicide.